The Columbia Voice
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bye Bye Trib

5 posters

Go down

Bye Bye Trib Empty Bye Bye Trib

Post  Admin Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am

Sorry folks, I just have to test out and start a few topics. Bear with me please.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thecolumbiavoice.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Trib Empty Re: Bye Bye Trib

Post  Admin Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:08 am

But I do believe they will miss us.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Trib Empty Let's allow links to articles, tables, and discussions.

Post  Paul Allaire Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:00 am

This is good. I like all the faces. I like that I can start my own topic. But your rules say something about not bringing information from other sources. WHY NOT? When I used the News Forum, which this strongly resembles (good) people would often start a thread with a sentence and then a link to the article they were discussing. Unless you are writing your own news articles and competing for advertisements, it shouldn't be an issue. Also, many people don't believe many "facts" that many others tend to use to "win" their arguments. So they say "link, please". I don't believe that allowing someone to provide links from outside sources will have a negative impact on your forum and it may not be able to gain an audience without it. The fact that something is even on the internet means that the author is expecting people to copy the material and use it as they see fit.

Paul Allaire

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:06 am

Oh no Paul, that's not what I meant. You can bring all of the articles and links here that you like. One thing though, we shouldn't post the article in it's entirety, always put quotes around it and then add the link for the rest of it, but what I was talking about was revealing real life information such as names, addresses and phone numbers of members who wish to remain anonymous. I have seen some people get so angry at others that they have offered to come and do them harm, so if a member wishes to stay anonymous, I am going to respect that.

If though, a member gives up their own identity on the open board, then that's their decision.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:30 am

Here's my favorite quote. “We came to a realization free online access is hurting us,” he said.
----------------------

I think that cutting us off will hurt them more.

---------------------------

Tribune to start charging for online access Dec. 1
By Janese Silvey Columbia Daily Tribune
Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Correction appended

The Tribune will start charging readers next month for unlimited access to its website.

WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?
For more details on the metered pay system, go to www.columbiatribune.com/FAQ.
Under a so-called metered model, website visitors will be able to read up to 10 local stories per month for free. Those wanting to read more will have to purchase an online subscription or buy individual stories. Also, only online subscribers will be able to comment on stories.

It’s a business model Andy Waters, vice president for interactive media at the Tribune, says just makes sense.

“This is a business decision for us, a way to come up with a sustainable business model so we can keep doing high-quality journalism,” he said. “It’s much more of a balanced approach to our operation.”

Right now, advertisers and the Tribune’s 20,000-some print subscribers pay for not only the publication itself but also for the editing and reporting staff that provide the content. Online advertising helps offset the cost to offer that content online but not enough to justify giving the product away for free, Waters said. “We came to a realization free online access is hurting us,” he said.

The Tribune’s metered pay system will debut Dec. 1. Here’s how it will work:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2010/nov/16/tribune-to-start-charging-for-online-access-dec-1/#comments
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesDudleyJr Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:08 am

I hope this place takes off it is set out decently just as my own community forum is.

I agree on not bringing the entire article to a thread but summarizing it and adding a link. That is what I do as well on my own forum.

It might help Admin if you put the link to the site rules/guidelines in your signature. Smile
CharlesDudleyJr
CharlesDudleyJr

http://cfcic.18.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx

Back to top Go down

Post  choppedliver Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 pm

I'll second that Chuck. All we can do is to show our members how much we value them and their opinions, and sit back and wait. They will come. Last count I had, there were almost 700 posts that were torn up about losing their ability to read and post on the Trib, and while we can never duplicate the Trib's content because we dont' have paid reporters, we can sure try to keep informed and have a welcoming place for those who still wish to voice their opinion.
choppedliver
choppedliver

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesDudleyJr Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 pm

chopped if you ever seen my forum you will see how much news I can aggregate and post in a day long before the Trib ever gets a hold of it.

Hell a lot of us used to forward articles to the Trib as news tips.
CharlesDudleyJr
CharlesDudleyJr

Back to top Go down

Post  choppedliver Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:06 pm

Well then, that is good news. And no, I haven't seen your forum. Why don't you supply a link here for us please?

Oh wait, edited to add, I think I see it in your sig line. I'll go check it out. thanks
choppedliver
choppedliver

Back to top Go down

Bye Bye Trib Empty What is going on all you refugees?

Post  ELorenz Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:26 am

Hello everyone - just a mild-mannered contributor, formerly from the trib forum, looking forward to the conversations ahead.

2 questions:

1: How many of you have registered at the Missourian?
A: Successfully?
B: Did you use your real name?
2: How many of you will be paying to post at the trib?

Okay, that was more like 4 questions - anyway - here we are...
CK
ELorenz
ELorenz

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesDudleyJr Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 am

ELorenz wrote:Hello everyone - just a mild-mannered contributor, formerly from the trib forum, looking forward to the conversations ahead.

2 questions:

1: How many of you have registered at the Missourian?
A: Successfully?
B: Did you use your real name?
2: How many of you will be paying to post at the trib?

Okay, that was more like 4 questions - anyway - here we are...
CK

1: I'm perma banned on the Missourian I just read their online version but I am also on their Reader Board that meets once a month.

2: Will not pay to post after talking to a Web Editor about payment options via email. They only want money not readers or posters.

Welcome aboard. Basketball
CharlesDudleyJr
CharlesDudleyJr

Back to top Go down

Post  choppedliver Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi ELorenz!

I did sign up over at the Missourian, but haven't made any posts there just yet. From what Mr. Dudley says though, it must be easy to get banned from there too.

Tell us Mr. Dudley, what did you do to get banned? Did they give you any warning before banning you?
choppedliver
choppedliver

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesDudleyJr Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:24 pm

choppedliver wrote:Hi ELorenz!
I did sign up over at the Missourian, but haven't made any posts there just yet. From what Mr. Dudley says though, it must be easy to get banned from there too.
Tell us Mr. Dudley, what did you do to get banned? Did they give you any warning before banning you?

On the Missourian you need to use your real name because on the off chance they do try to trace you and they want to see people's creditability.

The main reason I got banned was because I was watching the Redumblicans,Liberaltarians and the Tea Baggers persecuting Obama just about as bad as Hitler was against the Jews so I called them out on it and so they perma banned me over secular discrimination but they still keep allowing everybody to keep on with the radical persecution tactics.

Quite hypocritical in my book but what do you expect from a very Liberal University and it's mouth piece to the world at large. I mean hell none of our elected officials is anywhere near perfect but to just pound constantly at one person is a little bit overboard and hypocritical while you ignore the other screw ups before him or her.

I have had several accounts there and on the Trib since under other names but this last time I let them know my real name and they banned me again. So much for being honest huh? lol

Just another reason I prefer forum boards and blogs to Main Stream Media(MSM) outlets for posting because on forums and blogs you can enjoy more "Free Speak or Plain Speak" than you can on the MSM sites.I still post to MSM sites but prefer my forums and Blogs.

Laughing
CharlesDudleyJr
CharlesDudleyJr

Back to top Go down

Post  choppedliver Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:30 pm

So you are saying that they are a Liberal news format, but banned you for defending Obama? That makes no sense.

I know what you mean about how the right wing is beating him like a dead horse though. It really is quite obvious for anyone to see that isn't totally brainwashed by Pox News.
choppedliver
choppedliver

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesDudleyJr Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:37 pm

It was because I compared those beating Obama to Hitler when he beat the Jews. They did not like that and screamed bloody murder calling me a racist and worse Laughing <<Is all I did at them because they could not handle the truth.

One reason some do not like me I do not pull punches with words and tell things exactly as I see them from my point of view. Smile
CharlesDudleyJr
CharlesDudleyJr

Back to top Go down

Post  choppedliver Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Another addiction conquered, to a degree. I haven't even gone to the Trib's site but a couple of times in the past week. I don't think I'm going to miss it nearly as much as I had previously thought I would.
choppedliver
choppedliver

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesDudleyJr Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:11 pm

I view it and steal the articles I want and get out. Twisted Evil
CharlesDudleyJr
CharlesDudleyJr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content